© Pathhead Baptist Church, Scottish Charity SC016590

Pathhead Baptist
Church


We preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord

(II Corinthians 4:5)

The History of Our Church


Pathhead Baptist Church, (although now over one hundred years old) actually can trace it's origins to the formation of the Fifeshire Baptist Association in 1894.

After an address to the Association in September 1897 by the Rev. W. J. Hunter of Whytescauseway Baptist Church on ‘Church Extension’ it is recorded that a desire arose within the Association ‘to have an evangelist who would take up some part of the County with a view of forming a church’.

So it was that a proposal was made at an Association meeting in May 1899 to form a church ‘amongst the congested and growing population in Pathhead and district’.

One of the moving spirits in the formation and establishing of the new church was Mr. James Wishart, who not only provided a large sum of money towards this work but was also instrumental in bringing the Rev. J. G. Wilson of Helensborough Baptist Church to take up the role of ‘Agent of the Association in the formation of a church at Pathhead’.

On Saturday afternoon there was a reception meeting to welcome the Rev. J. G. Wilson. The Rev. H. Henderson, Cowdenbeath, President of the Fife and Clackmannan Baptist Association, presided and in a brief message welcomed Mr. Wilson in the name of the Association and expressed the hope that, under his ministry, the mission might prosper and prove a blessing to many. It is resolved to form the mission into a Baptist Church on Sunday 7th January 1900. Already 28 have given their names as prospective members, it is hoped that this number will be the nucleus of a strong, aggressive Baptist body in Pathhead.’

The new church grew steadily over its early years and in 1904 a building (our present church hall) was erected and dedicated for worship. Only two years later this building became inadequate and a new larger building became a necessity. So, on Saturday 10th October 1909, the present church building was opened.

Article from Glasgow Herald, 23rd December 1907


Page 1  2  3  4  5  6